Tour Eiffel Syndrome

The situation is the following: this guy - Borges - doesn't wants to tell me what we will do and visit in Concepcn.
He said "it's a surprise".
So, I'll skip Concepción, the city where he lives, and I'll use this space to tell you why I'm so obsessed with South America.
Amazon River
Actually, I don't know if it would have been the same if he were from Florida, Congo, Australia, Russia o Japan. I mean, yes, we also talked as we do because he would have been an interesting person however, but I don't know if I wanted to go there as fast as I decided. The country where he lives play an important role.
Chile occupying a long, narrow strip of land between the Andes mountains to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west.
Chile is the longest country on the world, with its 4,300km north to south and this encompasses a remarkable variety of climates and landscapes: from Desierto de Atacama (one of the most dry regions of the Earth) to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego.
Chile, for me, is a special country. As South America is a special continent: if I should describe my idea of what is it with one word it would be wild or mystical.
Sometimes, when I tell to people "hey, I'll leave for South America this winter!" their answer is "why, what is there to see?". I don't know if it's an european problem or just of the people with whom I spoke, but seems that most of the time we - europeans - need a monument or something really famous to be motivated to visit a country rather than another.
Eiffel Tower
I'm going to call it "Tour Eiffel Syndrome": Tour Eiffel 'cause everybody goes there and they don't know why they're traveled for kilometers, spending their money, looking at a tower of steel high more than 300 meters. Why this is "something to see" while Amazon River isn't it? (By the way, I was been in Paris and I saw that tower of steel high more than 300 meters and it's gorgeous, really. Paris is the best thing I've ever seen - 'till now. This doesn't exclude my passion for wild and uncontaminated nature).
There's something wrong in people who travel a lot, visiting only important cities like New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Moscow, Dubai... I don't want to teach you how to travel, but why people don't mix metropolis to unknown places?
I have been in some european capitals, now I need something different.
Another reason could be literature: in the last year I read a lot of books written by authors from there. I wouldn't be obvious but Luis Sepúlveda catched my attention. The first book I read by him was "El viejo que leia novelas de amor", set in Amazon rainforest. Then, I read "Historias marginales", which confirmed what I thought of Chilean people: they are precious, their history make themselves strong, rooted in the essence of humanity - not as a synonym for society, but as a value and virtue. I don't want to talk about desaparecidos and dictatorship, but if you don't know about history of the last century in Latin America (especially Chile and Argentina) you should look for it on Wikipedia.
And my advice is: go to read Sepúlveda. 
Ciao.
Images source: nemesis, listajustin

Morgana. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment